1. Contest Introduction
The 3rd “Star of Silicon Valley” Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition is a nationwide series of events dedicated to the returnees in the fields of innovation and entrepreneurship. It adheres to the principles of resource support, global integration, and regional landing. It aims to build a full range of project incubation service platforms such as entrepreneurship guidance and investment matching by integrating innovative returnees, venture capital and other innovative and entrepreneurial elements, to stimulate the enthusiasm for returning to China and accelerate the implementation and transformation of high-quality innovation and entrepreneurship projects.
2. Contest Theme
Gathering overseas talents and promoting innovation and development.
3.1 Sponsors and Organizers
Hebei Development and Reform Commission
Hebei Silicon Valley Innovation Center
Dingzhou Municipal Government
Hebei Kunzhan Bohong Technology Co., Ltd.
3.2 Competition Organizing Committee
The sponsors and organizers form the competition organizing committee. The organizing committee has an office to take charge of the specific implementation of the competition. The office is located in the Silicon Valley (Shijiazhuang) Innovation Center.
3.3 Expert Steering Committee
The expert steering committee is composed of heads of relevant departments in the province, professors from well-known universities, researchers from scientific research institutes, experts from Think Tanks in the Hebei Silicon Valley Innovation Center, investors from well-known venture capital companies at home and abroad, etc.
4. Participants and Projects Requirements
The competition takes the project as the object of selection, and is aimed at overseas entrepreneurial talents, overseas enterprises, students overseas and returnees. The participants and projects must meet the following requirements:
1) The project holder or at least one person in the team has study or work experience overseas (including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan), entrepreneurial experience, or overseas visits or training experience for at least half a year, and can provide relevant valid certificates;
2) Participant should have independent intellectual property rights or master core technologies with no property rights disputes; have clear business models, good market development prospects and expected economic benefits;
3) Project should be in line with China’s encouragement direction of industrial policy, have strong innovation capabilities and high growth potential, meet the competition field requirements, and be ready to settle in China;
4) Have registered a company or project in China and has signed a contract with overseas enterprises;
5) The projects that won the first, second and third prizes of the 2nd "Star of Silicon Valley" Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition may not participate in this competition. Additionally, the projects that won the first and second prizes of the 7th and 8th “Hebei Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competitions” are ineligible for enrollment.
5. Competition Schedule
5.1 The first stage: Startup and registration
Time and Location:
May 18, 2020 on the “2020 China·Langfang International Economic and Trade Fair (Online)” & “The 2nd International Innovation Technology Achievement Promotion and Matchmaking Conference”
Eligible companies and teams can voluntarily log in to the official website of the "Silicon Valley Star" Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition at www.guiguzhixing.com to register for the competition. Participants can download the "Application Form for the Third Star of Silicon Valley Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition" to learn more details. The competition does not charge any fees to participating companies. Registration is from September 30, 2020 ending October 8, 2020.
1) The competition is divided in ten major fields including artificial intelligence, new material, biomedicine, energy saving and environmental protection, intelligent equipment, Internet of Things, Big Data, modern agriculture, health equipment, new energy auto parts, etc. Each enterprise or team can declare two projects.
2) After the registration, the organizing committee of the contest will organize review experts to review the projects according to the field of registration. The projects that meet the entry requirements and submit the complete registration materials are subject to preliminary review. The projects passed the preliminary review will enter the preliminary contest.
5.2 The Second Stage: preliminary contest (online review)
Time: October 15, 2020 to October 31, 2020
In the preliminary round, an online review will be used to rank the projects in each field according to their scores, and the top 20 projects will be selected to advance to the semi-finals. The results of the preliminary round will be announced on November 6, 2020.
5.3 The Third Stage: semi-finals (tentative online review)
Time: December 1, 2020 to December 9, 2020
The semi-finals are planned to use the 8+3 format containing online defenses, and projects are evaluated by experts on the spot. That is, participants will make a statement (8 minutes) plus an online defense (3 minutes), and will be evaluated by experts on the spot. The order of the competition will be drawn randomly. Each team should have 1 main responder and 1-2 assistants and make statements in the form of PPT with the unified format of 16:9. Each group will select the top two teams to advance to the finals. Those who do not participate on time are deemed to have forfeited the competition. The results of the semi-final will be announced on December 10, 2020.
5.4 The Fourth Stage: finals
Time: December 14, 2020
The finals will use the 8+3+3 format. That is, participants will make a statement on the project (8 minutes), followed by a question and answer section with overseas expert judges (3 minutes) and domestic expert judges (3 minutes). Projects will be evaluated by expert judges on the spot. The order of the competition will be drawn randomly. Each team should have 1 main responder and 1-2 assistants, and make statements in the form of PPT with the unified format of 16:9. One first prize, two second prizes, three third prizes and fourteen honorable mention winners will be selected. Those who do not participate on time are deemed to have forfeited the competition.
The award ceremony of the 3rd Star of Silicon Valley Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition will be held after the final.
6. Review Rules
1) The judges will independently, objectively, fairly, and scientifically evaluate and score the selected items in accordance with the prescribed procedures, and provide professional evaluations;
2) The jury expert group is composed of well-known foreign experts and well-known experts in the province;
3) No less than 3 judges are required to evaluate each entry. The expert team of the judges has a team leader. In addition to participating in the judging, the team leader is also responsible for the summary of the evaluation opinions of the experts of the group on the selected project;
4) The final score is the average score of the foreign expert judges and the expert judges in the province.
5) If there is a tie in the competition, after the internal jury of the expert judges agrees, the leader of the judges will announce the final result.
6) The projects will be ranked by the final scores. The ranking order will be used as the basis for promotion or elimination;
7) Evaluation Policy:
Technology innovation and industry prospects
7. Rewards and Supports
7.1 Financial Support
1 first prize with a reward of 500,000 yuan; 2 second prizes with a reward of 200,000 yuan; 3 third prizes with a reward of 100,000 yuan; 14 honorable mention winners with a reward of 10,000 yuan.
7.2 Other Rewards
In addition to the prize, projects that have won an honorable mention prize or above will enjoy the following supporting policies provided by Dingzhou in addition to other local preferential policies in Dingzhou if the project is transformed into Dingzhou.
7.2.1 First Prize
1) 3 years free access to a workplace with an area no less than 300 square meters;
2) 3 years free access to an apartment for talents (expert standard, limited to 3 people);
3) One year of tax reduction and exemption after the project enters industrialization (specific consultations depending on industrialization).
7.2.2 Second Prize
1) 3 years free access to a workplace with an area no less than 200 square meters;
2) 3 years free access to an apartment for talents (expert standard, limited to 2 people).
7.2.2 Third Prize and Honorable Mention Winners
1) 3 years free access to a workplace with an area no less than 200 square meters;
2) 2 years free access to an apartment for talents (expert standard, limited to 2 people).
8. Supporting Service
During the competition, the organizing committee will organize supporting activities to provide diversified services such as counseling and training, data preparation, financing roadshows, project promotion, cooperation and docking, and Hebei science and technology policy interpretation for the project participants online or offline.
The organizing committee of the competition will adhere to the principle of "openness, fairness and justice", formulate uniform assessment rules and procedures, and invite notaries to conduct on-site supervision and notarization.
The organizing committee will announce the progress of the schedule on the websites of the Star of Silicon Valley Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition, Hebei Provincial Development and Reform Commission, Dingzhou Municipal Government and other websites. At the same time, the progress of the competition will be released in real time through social media such as NetEase, Phoenix Network, News Headline and other domestic and foreign social media, and the WeChat account of the Silicon Valley (Shijiazhuang) Innovation Center and accept social supervision.
Star of Silicon Valley 18830668071 (WeChat account)